Winter Holidays - Week 1

We are just wrapping up the first week of our three week winter holiday. This week was like a bonus week for Andy and me. Ella's school only has a two week holiday (state schools vs. independent schools) and Ollie still has daycare so we have had a whole five days to ourselves. And let me tell you, it has been pretty nice! And on top of that we've been having some lovely winter weather this week. Crisp sunny days, with highs of 15-16 degrees. After two Canadian winters I really can't complain. 

Over the weekend we went to Williamstown on Saturday morning. Williamstown is a suburb that is southeast of the city centre, along Port Philip Bay. It was originally Melbourne's first sea port, and now has a very cute maritime village feel. We took the kids' bikes and went for a walk/ride along the beach before stopping at the playground for a play. After that we headed down to the beach, and it was warm enough for the kids to take off their shoes, build sandcastles and splash in the waves. (Ok, it was warm enough for my crazy children to do this. Not me.)





Afterwards we got some fish & chips and ate them along the bay, before going home to chill out for the rest of the afternoon.

We stayed closer to home on Sunday. Ollie went to his Little Kickers soccer session, and Ella and I went for a bike ride - she rides and I walk/jog. We've found a great cafe called Town and Country in Balwyn that is about 2km from our house. It's the perfect distance for Ella to ride without getting tired, and has a great playground across the street. We stopped for a meat pie for lunch at the cafe, and then met Andy and Ollie at the playground once Ollie was finished soccer.

That afternoon everyone was pretty tired so we all stayed home. I managed to sneak outside to read my book for half an hour in the sun. Pretty much my idea of a perfect afternoon.

Ollie was so tired that he fell asleep watching a movie. Ella thinks he is so cute when he's asleep! (I would have to agree!)

I have really been enjoying our leisurely mornings this week. During term time we have to be out the door by 7:10am. We have a pretty good system in place and I'm happy to report that most days we leave without any tears and on time. This is an improvement from the first term when tears/yelling/lateness were more of a regular part of our mornings than I would like to admit. In order to be prepared in the mornings I do most things the night before: shower, pack my bag and make Ella's lunch. But this week I've been able to completely relax in the evening because we have so much time in the mornings. Ella's school starts at 9am and Ollie can go to daycare whenever so we have an extra hour and a half each morning. 

Ella has been riding her bike to school all week which feels like a major achievement. I have absolutely loved walking her to school and dropping her off at the school gates, having a little chat with the other parents that I see. One day I even got a coffee and went for a walk with another mum after drop off, which was so nice! The early start to my day as a teacher is definitely a downside to the job, especially with young kids, as it would be so nice to have relaxed mornings and walks to school more often. But I suppose you can't have it all and we do love our school holidays!

Andy and I have done a mixture of boring household admin jobs and days out for our five child free days. 

We went for a 25km bike ride, visiting some of our favourite places from the neighbourhood's we lived in previously. 

We also drove down to Elwood and did a bayside walk to the Brighton Bathing Boxes, an iconic Melbourne sight. (Or maybe Australian sight... I'm assuming they have these everywhere!)

We also got in some shopping for Ella's birthday next week... I can't believe she is almost 6!

Midweek we had parent-teacher interviews at Ella's school. She is doing really really well and her teacher had so many positive things to tell us. To celebrate we went to our local bookshop and let Ella pick out a new book. She choose an Ella and Olivia book, an early readers chapter book that we can read together over a few nights. 

Ella was also student of the week at After School Care, and Ollie is learning to write his name!

And now we are preparing for a short getaway to Ocean Grove next week. We are staying in an airbnb with Michelle and Steve and family and I'm really looking forward to spending time with our friends and getting out of the city for a little while.

Comments

Popular Posts