Here is the process we went through:
1. Employer needs to be an approved sponsor (my school was already one)
2. Employer nominated the position (25/10/12)
Once this is done the employer will give you a TRN number with which you can lodge your application. You can do this before the nomination is approved.
Nomination approved on 28/10/12
3. I submitted our application (28/10/12)
This was done electronically on the DIAC website. All documents were colour scanned and attached to the application once I had finished filling it in.
I didn't need to have anything certified as it was colour scanned.
The cost was $350 AUD
These are the documents I submitted:
- Passport biodata page (for both mrwandymcnoble and me)
- Birth Certificate (just mine)
- References from my last 3 schools
- University degrees
- University transcript
- VIT Registration
- Proof of Health Insurance (through BUPA)
- Offer Letter from job in Australia
- Marriage certificate (as mrwandymcnoble is now my dependant!)
And that was it! No medical or police record checks needed (although I needed a police record check for my VIT registration)
Application approved on 01/11/12
Information about the 457 Visa is here