Currently... 06.09.18

Reading The Beekeeper’s Promise by Fiona Valpy. It’s a WWII novel, set in in a rural area of occupied France. It’s beautifully written and has kept me up past my bedtime this month, definitely recommend if you like novels set in that time. I also read The Man I Think I Know by Mike Gayle which was a book about male friendship that I enjoyed as well. The two main characters knew each other while at their posh boarding school, and reconnect in their 30s. Both are leading very different lives than was expected of them when they were teens due to personal tragedy. The book alternates viewpoints between the two men and both go through a lot of change and growth. This was one of those books I felt like I could have kept on reading and was sad to have finished the story when I got to the last page. I love, love, love getting stuck into a good book, the only downfall is that it keeps me up waaaaaay past my bedtime!

Watching Jane the Virgin on Netflix. I LOVE THIS SHOW. It totally surprised me how much I love it and I’m whizzing through the first four seasons while breastfeeding Ollie. Sometimes in the night I’m actually a bit disappointed when he finishes quickly, as I want to keep watching. It’s really hard to describe the genre of the show; it is loosely based on a Venezuelan telenovela, so the plots are very soap opera-ish. However it is also a drama and very realistic in parts and at the same time incredibly funny and smart. I cannot recommend it enough!!

Listening to the podcast Unruffled with Janet Lansbury for parenting tips (see why below!). My friend also just recommended Caliphate, a podcast about the Islamic State, so I'm going to try that one out. And, I just found out that Serial Season 3 comes out in a few weeks so I'll definitely be listening to it, if only to listen to the delightful storytelling of Sarah Koenig.

Drinking lots of coffee, water and smoothies! We are back on the green smoothie bandwagon after Andy and I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It is a documentary where this guy drinks nothing but juice for 60 days. Which, in my opinion, is ridiculous. However it does highlight how many people don’t fit enough vegetables and fruit into their diets. Although we try to eat healthy most of the time, we could definitely fit more veggies into our lives. So I’m experimenting with putting more vegetables into my smoothies and am currently drinking this blueberry zucchini green smoothie. It’s actually prett good. My other favourite combo at the moment is: spinach (or other leafy green), celery, cucumber, pear, banana, ginger, water and ice. 

Wearing my mum uniform: leggings, chunky cropped sweater and a nursing singlet (tank top), pair with my Nikes or Toms. I have managed to put jeans on a few times this month though, and yes I’m talking about my pre-pregnancy size jeans, whoop! 

Practicing yoga every day for about 40 days now. Yay me! It’s definitely helping with the back pain that comes with holding and feeding a baby all day long. So far I have only been doing yoga at home but would love to get out to a studio for a full class sometime in the near future. I am also trying to do HIIT training a few days a week. I’ve found this channel on Youtube which have some good beginner workouts that get my heart rate up. And I really like the coach, Joe. I think it's because he reminds me of a fitter Russell Brand.

Loving my three days at home with Ollie. He’s turned into such a happy, smiley baby lately and I can’t get enough of his giggles. He’s happy to go for walks in his pram and look around at the world outside. 

Baking with Ella on the days she is at home. The weather was pretty crap for all of August so baking has been a great indoor activity for us to do when Ollie is napping. One of the funnest, easiest things I’ve found is this Jamie Oliver shortbread, as you get to mix together butter, flour and sugar with your hands. Not only is baking with Ella fun, we also get something yummy to eat together at the end. Double win!

Struggling a bit with Ella's behaviour - namely her tantrums. I'm not sure where the "terrible twos" comes from, three has been a much harder age for us! She can go from happy to screaming in a matter of seconds it seems, and once she reaches peak tantrum it's difficult to calm her down. Some reading and talks with other parents assures me that what she is going through is normal, I just don't know if we always respond in the best way. I just got the book Calm Parents, Happy Kids by Dr. Laura Markham out of the library, so I'm hoping to pick up a few tips on how to be supportive and calm while helping her to manage her emotions.

Looking forward to Andy’s parents arriving next week. Yay for grandparent fun!

Pic of the Month: My two little loves 

Comments

Ah I didn't hear that Serial was coming back. Can't wait. Ollie is so darling. Don't tell me three is worse that two for tantrums because we are in the thick of it right now.
Wendy McCarry said…
Three has definitely been harder for us! But I'm sure that for both our girls the arrival of their little brother is the biggest reason for the tantrums!

Popular Posts